I used to think about food constantly. Well kind of… After the talk with Koach on June 30 and running some things through Gemini (the AI that I use), I basically made up my mind that “nothing tastes as good as healthy feels” and that was it. On Monday, July 06 someone put a bunch of breakfast pastries on a cart by the kitchenette - which is next to my office. I walked past them. It was later in the day when I realized I had not even thought about them. Usually I would want one and spend entirely too much time reminding myself I didn’t need it OR I would have just gotten one. When I realized it had not occurred to me to pick one up, I started reflecting on that. I had been that way pretty since June 30. Now I know that isn't very long but it was just interesting to me.
Then on July 11 it was my turn to host our SCC night. That meant lots of cleaning and well, for me, cooking. I LOVE to feed people! I usually taste (and by taste I mean full spoons or servings) what I’m making throughout the day saying “it’s quality control” and then that evening I eat my fill of the goodies I made. But this time I didn’t. I literally just tasted - the tip of a spoon or tap of a finger, a single bite, etc. just enough to know if seasonings needed to be adjusted. Then that night, I barely had any of it and I avoided all the breads/starchy foods. I didn’t even have wine that night. It was when I was telling Holly what I made, that I realized I didn’t eat much of it.
Fast forward to July 18. I catered for Michael that day. Normally, I figure out how to sneak bites of everything. He is a great chef!! Oh and he had cheesecake - my favorite. This time… I didn’t. I had a bite of salmon and a bite of cheesecake (that was store bought so it wasn’t my favorite but still… It was cheesecake!) That night I was talking to a friend at dinner. She was talking about another mutual friend who had lost a lot of weight also after a “rough” doc appointment. My friend said that our mutual friend told her most people don’t think about food all the time. She had learned this from a nutritionist. So I told my friend about my experience recently. She responded saying I had a great reason to ignore it. And basically doubted that it would stay off.
This week, after running, I was talking to Holly about it. And I had two thoughts. It was at this point I realized that the previous time I lost weight I had turned it off. This was 2006 when I hired Koach. I lost 55 pounds, 35 of them in the first 5 weeks. That was a full lifestyle change. I stopped eating starchy carbs AND I was training for a 44 mile race after I had just completed a marathon. Here’s the kicker with that… It was from Thanksgiving to the week after Christmas. THE food season! The season when most people gain 5 lbs and I lost 35 lbs.
Then with these last few weeks of eating solid nutritious foods, I am not thinking about food. And I think BOTH times it’s because my body is getting what it needs and isn’t looking for it. I also believe after a few weeks of cutting out the extra starches and sugars my body has broken its addiction to them. Could it easily come back? Probably but only if I start eating those things that I know are not healthy for me. I even asked someone in our office this morning about the journey she had been on and lately gotten away from. I mentioned the “thinking about food all the time” and she said “that’s the thing. When I was eating healthy and moving my body, I didn’t think about food.” A total “Huzzah!” moment!
So if you’re still with me… I am committed to healthy eating and daily workouts. (Ok I started July 01) I will discuss them here. I am inviting you along for the ride. In the next post, I will run the numbers so you can see where I started and have accountability for where I’m going.
Live fully,
Bobbi
No comments:
Post a Comment